International Applicants

The Lewis & Clark Graduate School of Education and Counseling welcomes applications from international students. Graduates of regionally accredited American colleges and universities or of recognized, comparable degree-granting institutions abroad are eligible to apply for graduate study. This typically means the completion of a degree of at least four years duration beyond the 12th year of school.

Admission to a degree program is required for F-1 student visa eligibility.

International Graduate Student Admission Requirements

International student applicants are required to submit the following in addition to the admissions requirements of their intended degree program of study.

Financial Assistance

International students applying to the graduate school are eligible for scholarships awarded by the individual programs. 

Conditional Admission

The graduate school will consider requests for conditional admission on a case by case basis. Usually the condition is submitting proof of English proficiency and/or the submission of required scores from a standardized test. Candidates who wish to be considered for conditional admission must submit all required documentation including the application. Once all required materials are received, the application will be given to program faculty for review. Conditional admission decisions are made by faculty. Students may request conditional admission prior to the published application deadlines.

Next Steps

If admitted to the Graduate School, the following will be required.


Lewis & Clark Office of International Students and Scholars 

International Students and Scholars - MSC 192
Lewis & Clark College
615 S Palatine Hill Road
Portland, Oregon 97219-7899

Phone: 503-768-7305
Fax: 503-768-7301

Brian White, Director and Associate Dean of Students

Lisa Kosiewicz Doran, Associate Director

Paola Dennis, Administrative Specialist

Teacher Standards and Practices Commission of Oregon (TSPC)

International applicants with a teaching credential and interested in teaching in the state of Oregon are required to contact the Teacher Standards and Practices Commission of Oregon (TSPC) after their international transcripts have been evaluated. TSPC will list courses, if any, required to obtain an Oregon Initial Teaching License.