Transfer of Credit

Transfer of graduate credit from other institutions is evaluated on an individual basis and may include courses using both traditional and alternative modes of delivery. With approval, students may transfer a maximum of the equivalent of 10 semester hours of graduate level credit to a master’s degree and 14 semester hours to the doctoral program in educational leadership. The amount of transfer credit accepted by individual programs may vary. Only graduate level credits earned in the five years prior to admission are considered for transfer credit. Courses requested for transfer into an applicant’s degree program at Lewis & Clark College must be from an institution that was regionally accredited at the time the courses were taken and have a minimum grade of B-, except when the issuing institution considers a grade of B- as not passing. In this case the transfer courses must have the minimum passing grade allowed for graduate credit for that institution. A grade of CR or “pass” may be accepted from an institution that provides documentation that a CR or “pass” grade represents a grade of B- or higher. Practicum, internship, or field experience courses will not be considered for transfer and must be completed at the Graduate School of Education and Counseling.

To have previous coursework evaluated for transfer credit, students must submit an official transcript or transcripts documenting the coursework. 

Credits transfer applied to Oregon’s Teacher Standards and Practices commission licensure concentrations (nondegree) may be exempt from the restrictions described above. However, students enrolled in licensure or endorsement only programs must earn at least six semester hours of credit through a program at Lewis & Clark in order to be recommended by Lewis & Clark to the licensing agency or organization. Students should consult the appropriate adviser. 

To petition for transfer credit a student should complete the Request for Transfer Credit form and submit it to their Program Director for consideration. 


Request for Transfer Credit [PDF]