Information for Guests
Lewis & Clark Graduate School Commencement: Sunday, June 7, 2020
Lewis & Clark is a tobacco-free, smoke-free, vape-free campus.
Tickets NOT Required
- Requesting Accommodation or ASL Interpreters (Deadline: Friday, May 29, 2020)
- Maps, Parking, and Lodging
Photographs and Live Webcast
by 9:30 a.m. — Arrival
We encourage guests to arrive to campus by 9:30 a.m. in order to ensure enough time to find parking, walk or take the shuttle to the Pamplin Sports Complex, and to find seating.
Shuttle service will be available from the parking lots to Pamplin Sports Complex.
Coffee, tea, and water will be provided before and during the commencement ceremony. You are also invited to attend the reception after the ceremony.
For pre-commencement lattes, pastries, and flowers, and for brunch after, local providers include:
C = coffee, tea, and pastries; F = flowers
C Kyra’s Bake Shop (all gluten free) 599 A Avenue, Lake Oswego 503-212-2979
- C Peet’s Coffee 345 First Street, Suite #111, Lake Oswego 971-236-9140
- C St. Honore Boloungerie 315 First Street Suite 103, Lake Oswego 503-496-5596
- C Starbucks 47 North State Street, Lake Oswego 503-699-8581
- C Starbucks 7421 SW Barbur Boulevard, Portland 503-245-7540
- CF New Seasons Market 3 Monroe Pkwy., Lake Oswego 503-496-1155
- CF Zupan’s Market 7221 SW Macadam, Portland 503-244-5666
- Post-commencement Brunch Suggestions, Travel Portland
Quick Map: Looking for Pamplin Sports Complex? From most places on campus, you will be able to see the steeple of the Agnes Flanagan Chapel. Pamplin is located to the northeast of the chapel—a very short distance away.
- The Lewis & Clark Bookstore will be open on Commencement Sunday from 9 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.—in Pamplin Sports Center prior to and during the ceremony and in Templeton Campus Center following the ceremony.
9:50 a.m. — The Processional
- A bagpiper will lead the graduates, faculty, and platform party from Stamm Dining Hall past the Manor House and into the Pamplin Sports Complex.
Mid-ceremony — *Conferring of Degrees and the Hooding Ceremony
- Following the opening comments and speeches, Dean Scott Fletcher will present the Class of 2019 and will then ask the master’s candidates to stand. President Wim Wiewel will confer their degrees, then Dean Fletcher will ask the master’s degree candidates to come forward at the direction of the student marshals. This same process will then repeat for the educational specialist and doctoral degree candidates.
- Professional photographers from GradImages will be capturing images of the graduates throughout the conferral of the degrees.
- *In keeping with the solemnity and academic tradition of the occasion, family and friends, of all ages, are encouraged to watch and celebrate joyfully from their seats in the audience (or viewing the live-stream from the foyer); only the candidates for degrees, themselves, participate in the conferral of degrees and the hooding ceremony. Following the ceremony, the reception provides a wonderful opportunity for your guests to then join you in truly celebrating the momentous occasion.
Around Noon — Recessional
- The bagpiper will lead the recessional followed by the platform party, faculty, and graduates. Guests are asked to remain in their seats until the final graduate has exited the building.
Around Noon, following the recessional — Reception
- A reception will be held immediately after graduation on the Manor House Circle (or in Stamm Dining Hall, in case of inclement weather). We hope that you will be able to join your graduate in the celebration!
Children at the Ceremony
Children are welcome to attend the commencement ceremony. Because sitting still-and-quiet for two-plus hours can be a challenge for the best of us, the ceremony may be televised live in the foyer. There is also plenty of room just outside the Pamplin Sports Center doors for supervised children to explore.
During the ceremony, itself, we welcome friends and family of our graduates, of all ages, to watch and celebrate with joy the hooding ceremony of their graduate from the audience. Following the ceremony, the reception provides a wonderful opportunity for guests to then join with their graduates in person to truly celebrate the momentous occasion.
We adore our dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, and rodents, too, but we kindly request that you leave your family pets at home the day of the commencement ceremony. (Pets are not allowed in the Pamplin Sports Center and there are no pet-safe areas available immediately outside of the arena.)