Rogers Hall 431, MSC: 14
Alejandra Favela teaches a variety of courses for pre-service and in-service teachers that lead to the ESOL Endorsement. She also supervises elementary candidates some of whom are
Areas of Expertise
Culturally and Linguistically Responsive Pedagogy
- Favela, A. & Petteys, P. (Fall, 2022). Special Education in Rural Mexico: Two Schools in Jalisco. Journal of the American Academy of Special Education Professionals.
- Torres, D. & Favela, A. (Spring 2022). Surveying the landscape of post-secondary options and support for undocumented students in the Pacific Northwest: A view from one state’s school counselors. Northwest Journal of Teacher Education, Vol 17 (2). https://pdxscholar.library.pdx.edu/nwjte/vol17/iss2/5/
- Favela, A. & DeSaxe, J. (2018). Good Teacher/ Bad Teacher: Countering Corporate Narratives that Dichotomize and Disguise Structural Inequalities. Journal of Thought
- Favela, A. (2017) .Vidas Alrevez: Educational Challenges Facing Deported Families. Journal of Latinos and Education.
- Favela, A. & Torres, D.M. (Winter 2014). Connecting Classrooms and Communities, Identifying Student Needs & Assets. Multicultural Education.
- Favela, A. (October, 2012). Reclaiming Language, Culture, and Hope in a Mexican Indigenous School Community. The Journal of Multiculturalism in Education. Vol 8 (2).
- Favela, A. (2010). Radical Lessons from Oaxaca: Teachers as Social Vanguards.Radical Teacher.
- Favela, A. (2010). Educational Border Crossers: Essential Skills and Attitudes for Teaching Immigrant Students. Saarbrucken: VDM Verlag.
- Expósito, S. & Favela, A. (2009). Reading The World in L1 and L2. In R. Cohen, Ed. Explorations in Second Language Reading. Alexandria, VA: TESOL, Inc.
- Dantas-Whitney, M., Favela, A. Mize, K. & Galloway, M. (2009). They’re Everyone’s Kids: Supporting Teachers Who Support ELLs. ORTESOL Journal. 26 (1), 1-6.
- Favela, A. (2009). Confianza y Consciencia: Transnational Students in Mexican Schools. Border-Lines: Journal of the Latino Research Center. Vol. 3, 6-24.
- Favela, A. & Torres, D.M. (March 2008). Supporting New Minority Teachers through Culture, Community and Collaboration. Northwest Passages. 6 (1), 23-33.
- Favela, A. (2007). Classrooms as Cultural Bridges: Learning with and from Immigrant Communities. Journal of Democracy & Education. 16 (4), 14-21.
- Expósito, S. & Favela, A. (March 2003). Reflective Voices: Valuing Immigrant Students and Teaching with Ideological Clarity. The Urban Review Journal,35 (1), 73-91.
PhD (2004) Claremont Graduate University /San Diego State University; MA (1994) London School of Economics and Political Science; BA (1992) University of California, Berkeley