School Counseling Outcomes

We give you the skills to reach out to students whose needs are not being met, and to involve all members of the community in ensuring student success. By the end of your program, you will have experienced the continuity of the education system and will be prepared for licensure across all grades.

Job Prospects

The Master’s Degree in Education and School Counseling License Program allow you to work as a school counselor in K-12 schools in Oregon. Once the program requirements are completed and your degree has posted, you are recommended for licensure to Oregon’s governing licensure body, the Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC). Once your license is granted, you are then eligible to be hired as a school counselor in Oregon schools.  

(Completing of this program only does not make you eligible to work as a private practitioner, LPC licensed practitioner, LMFT licensed practitioner, school psychologist, or full-time teacher. Additional training and licensure would be required for these professions—you can find information about our Teacher Education and Counseling Psychology programs elsewhere on this website). Also, faculty advisors can discuss the pathway for LPC licensure.

School counseling graduates have been very successful in finding jobs. Some of the local school districts that have hired our students include Portland Public School District, Beaverton School District, Salem-Keizer School District, Reynolds School District, West Linn-Wilsonville School District, Vancouver and Evergreen (Washington) School Districts, among others throughout the Portland metro, coastal, and rural areas of Oregon. Many students are hired even prior to completing their entire program and thus are able to work in the field while completing their final requirements.

Career Support

We support students as they seek employment by advertising job fairs and job openings, providing instructions for the application process and TSPC licensure application process, communicating directly with hiring districts, and providing letters of recommendation. Many of these services are offered through our office of K-12 Educational Career & Licensing Services (ECLS).