Elections for representatives of the Graduate Student Union Network take place each September. For details on the elections process, read the information below.
Elected SUN representatives work to bring activities and programming to campus that support student experiences at the graduate school as well as foster social change and student growth. In addition to this, they enjoy many benefits for their service such as recognition, valuable experience that can be cited on a resume, and a tuition
waiver for one
To be eligible to run for a SUN representative election, you must 1) be a current graduate student 2) plan to be continually enrolled as a graduate student throughout the current academic year either part-time or full-time , 3) have good academic standing and disciplinary standing with the graduate school, and 4) not have any conflict of interest that will prohibit you from fulfilling your duties as a SUN representative (roles and responsibilities of SUN representatives are provided below).
Completed Self-Nomination Applications must be submitted via e-mail to the Graduate Dean’s office (email@example.com) no later than Friday, September 8, 2023 at 5:00 PM. Incomplete applications or those received after this deadline will not be accepted. The information you provide in your application will be posted online by Monday, September 11 so your classmates can review it and vote.
Click HERE for a self-nomination application form.
- Friday, September 8, 2023: Self-Nomination Applications due to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 PM
- Monday, September 11, 2023: Candidate profiles posted on SUN website – voting begins
- Monday, September 18, 2023: Voting ends at 5:00 PM
- Friday, September 22, 2023: Newly elected officers are announced
Duties for SUN Representatives
The representatives act as a collaborative team and have equal power and voting rights. Team members serve as representatives of the student body and work to create meaningful opportunities for community growth.
The representatives will be expected to:
- Act as a liaison between the student body and both the Faculty and Administration.
- Attend Officer meetings twice a month.
- Attend a meeting with the Associate Dean once a month.
- Attend a meeting with the Dean of the Graduate School once each semester.
- One representative will attend quarterly Board of Trustee meetings
How to Vote
Students will receive an email letting them know that voting has formally opened for the election. Each student can review bios of each candidate online. Students can vote for up to TWO candidates from EACH of the following categories:
The Counseling, Therapy, and School Psychology department, which includes the following full time programs:
- Art Therapy
- Marriage, Couple, and Family Therapy
- Professional Mental Health Counseling (including Specialization in Addictions)
- School Psychology
The Teaching, School Counseling, and Leadership Studies department, which includes the following full time programs:
- School Counseling
- Student Affairs Administration
- Teaching, Elementary
- Teaching, Secondary
NOTE: Only one student from each academic program may be elected.
Email your votes to email@example.com by the voting deadline (5:00 PM, Monday, September 18, 2023).