School navigation

Content tagged with "FAQ"


  • You are welcomed to apply while in your final year of college. You will need to submit an official copy of your transcript showing your progress. If admitted to the graduate school and you intend to enroll, you will be required to submit another official copy of your transcript which shows your complete academic record, the degree earned and the date it was conferred. If your graduate program starts in the fall semester, we will need the transcript prior to the start of the fall semester. If your graduate program starts in the summer, you will need the transcript prior to the start of the summer session. If that isn’t possible, you will need to submit written confirmation from your college that you have met graduation requirements and will be providing a degree posted transcript after the start of the summer session.

  • You are welcomed to contact your academic department of interest or the Admissions office to arrange for a campus visit. Also, check if your program is hosting a online info session.

  • For an estimated total cost of your program, go to the Paying for Graduate School  page and multiply the number of credits of your program by the cost per credit. To determine the cost of tuition for a current semester, multiply by the number of credits registered by the current cost per credit. Students who take courses off campus may be charged a lesser fee. As a rule, tuition increases each summer.

  • You must submit an official copy of your score report. This can be done in one of the following ways:

    1. Select Lewis & Clark as a recipient of your score report. The scores will be directly sent to Lewis & Clark.
    2. Forward the official score report email from the testing agency to the graduate admissions office (
  • Many of our programs host on-campus info sessions throughout the year. These programs present a thorough perspective of the program and faculty are present to answer your questions.

    If you cannot attend an info session, go to your intended program’s home page to view Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) or find the program’s contact information to request more information. We also attend graduate school fairs and events in other parts of the country. Go to our Info Sessions page for current schedules. Some Info Session are offered online (virtual).

  • There are testing centers outside of the US that offer the GRE test. Check the test company’s website for current testing centers. If you are unable to take a required test, please contact the admissions office to determine whether or not an incomplete application can be submitted. Your application may be considered for conditional admission. Test scores must be received prior to the start of the program

  • Yes, you may still apply. When reviewing applications, faculty members read transcripts carefully and thoughtfully. They will look for when the poorer grades were earned and in which courses. You should include a letter of explanation with your application. We also recommend that you contact your program of interest to discuss if there are ways to strengthen your application.

  • In addition to maintaining a rigorous schedule of classes and accompanying assignments, from late August through mid-June, you will be working in a classroom with a mentor teacher. This creates the best possible learning opportunities but a very demanding schedule. Therefore, the faculty discourages students from attempting to hold additional employment.

  • You can expect to be in classes or your placement classroom every day. Some classes are held in the early evening. The schedule varies slightly for each cohort.

  • You will need to have a strong background in the subject area that you wish to teach. This may involve a college major or minor or other extensive academic work in the field you are planning to teach. Advisers review transcripts of applicants to determine if additional coursework may be required before qualifying for admission.

    The following are the available subject areas for high school teacher candidates at Lewis & Clark:

  • The Oregon license transfers to most states. It is best to check with the state that you’re researching about their regulations. Detailed information on state licensing is available on the Educational Career and Licensing Services’ website.

  • Contact the testing company to see if you can reorder a copy of your score report. If your scores are no longer available, you will need to retake a basic skills test. Below are links to the various testing companies’ pages regarding scores.

    NES-EAS and ORELA tests
    PRAXIS I and II

  • Yes, you may submit an unofficial report with your application. An official report must be submitted as soon as it becomes available. Applicants who do not submit an official report may be considered for conditional admission into the program.

  • Ideally, the colleges will mail your transcripts directly to the graduate school. Be sure you include our campus mail stop number of MSC 87. (We have three admissions offices at Lewis & Clark.) If it is faster for you to physically go to the college and pick up transcripts, be sure you clearly request you want official copies. Transcripts should be handed to you in a sealed envelope. The sealed envelope can be sent or delivered to the admissions office.

  • You can if, and only if, they are still in a sealed envelope issued by the originating college’s registrar’s office. If the envelope is open, we no longer consider it official.

  • A checklist of received and missing application materials is available on your application status page. 

    NOTE: We may be taking messages only during the first few days after a deadline. We usually have buckets of mail and applications to process and are not be able to report application statuses until all is sorted and entered in our database. We will contact all applicants regarding the status of the file. We thank you in advance for your patience!

  • The Preservice program is a full-time 12-13 month program which begins each year in mid-June. Students completing the licensure portion of the program often have their Oregon teaching licenses in hand by the end of July.

  • No, the only licensure program we currently offer is a full-time program in which you will complete all of the requirements for an Oregon teaching license and will obtain a Master of Arts in Teaching degree.

  • Yes! We welcome your calls and visits to campus. One way to connect with our faculty is to attend a faculty-facilitated Information Session. We offer face-to-face and virtual sessions regularly. See the Info Session webpage for the schedule. Another way to connect with faculty is to contact them directly. 

  • The Teacher Education Staff is available and able to answer many questions you may have about our programs. We encourage your calls to 503-768-6100 and emails to

  • With careful planning, it is possible to complete the program for the M.A. in Professional Mental Health Counseling in eight semesters (full-time). Most students find it personally and professionally better to take slightly longer. Professional Mental Health Counseling-Addictions students take eight semesters full-time with careful planning. Marriage, Couple and Family Therapy students take three or four years, including a full year of internship. School Psychology students take three years full-time, the last year being a full-time internship.

  • We are interested in offering selected courses through distance education formats and are doing preparatory work for this avenue. No such courses have yet been scheduled.

  • Our programs prepare students in School Psychology and Professional Mental Health Counseling-Addictions for licensing by the state of Oregon. Those licenses are typically issued on completion of the degree program and submission of that program and required test scores to the state. Students graduating from our Professional Mental Health Counseling and Marriage, Couple, and Family therapy programs hold degrees that make them eligible to pursue licensing from their respective licensing and certification boards.

  • The Oregon Board of Licensed Professional Counselors and Therapists currently requires a total of 2400 hours of supervised client contact to be eligible for becoming a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC). A minimum of 240 of those hours are required during your master’s degree program. Most students complete their degree with a few more hours than this minimum. These hours acquired during your master’s degree program count toward the total 2400 required for full licensing. (During the time between your completion of your degree and your completion of the 2400 hours, you are eligible to practice publicly or privately. For your practice hours to count toward full licensing, they must be supervised according to Board guidelines.) A majority of states have requirements similar to those in Oregon. But each state governs its own practice. To have definitive information about these requirements, it is necessary to contact the licensing authority in each state for their current standards and procedures.

  • Almost all medical insurance companies, managed care companies and HMOs pay reimbursements for counseling by our graduates. Laws requiring insurance companies to give equal recognition to master’s level counselors vary from state to state. They have been gaining support in recent years. Current trends nationwide show rapidly growing recognition of master’s level practitioners in both public and private practice.

  • The graduate school will consider conditional admission for international students who have not completed an English proficiency test or required standardized tests (i.e. GRE or PRAXIS tests). Candidates must submit an application form and all required documents. Applications may be submitted prior to the stated application deadline. Completed files will be given to graduate faculty for review and a decision.

  • The current graduate school application now includes a statement for Lewis & Clark undergraduate students to sign that allows the graduate school permission to access their their Lewis & Clark undergraduate transcript. We do not have access to any other transcripts that were submitted in support of your CAS application.

  • If you attended Lewis & Clark’s graduate school, we are able to print out and use an advising copy of your transcript. You do not need to request an official copy be sent to us. Alumni of the graduate school may be eligible for abbreviated application process. Please check out the information for Alumni Applicants web page.

  • 1. Complete the following courses:

    • ESOL 535 (High school) or ESOL 535 A/B (Elementary) Effective Practice in Teaching English Language Learners (2 SH)  (Required of all preservice students.)
    • CORE 505 Immigrants in the US or CORE 568 Tapping Community Resources to Support Minority Populations (2 SH)

    2. Apply and be admitted to the ESOL endorsement program for preservice students (ESOL/Bilingual Endorsement Track II).

    3. Complete the following courses:

    • ED 516 Intern Practicum III (Early childhood/Elementary) or ED 546/646 Classroom Teaching III (Middle/High School Level) in a pre-service M.A.T. program at Lewis and Clark.

    4. Complete the courses:

    • ESOL 500/600 Historical and Legal foundations of Education ESOL/Bilingual Studies (3 SH)
    • ESOL507/607Language Acquisition/Development (3H)
    • ESOL 505/605 Bilingual Practicum (2 SH)

    *Remember to seek approval for the practicum first

    5. Take and pass the NES/ORELA: ESOL test.

    6. (Optional) Take Lewis & Clark Spanish assessment OR NES/ORELA language test(s) if adding the bilingual endorsement.

    7. Portfolio Submission and Faculty Approval

    • Includes key assignments from Courses in the ESOL Endorsement

    8. Apply to TSPC to Add the ESOL Endorsement



  • Yes. There is a secure drop box mounted on the wall of Rogers Hall to the left of the main entrance. There will be signs to direct you to the drop box.


  • Here is our semester offering of College Success Workshops for Spring 2012!
  • Glossary of some of the most common terms used in the criminal justice system



Share this story on