School navigation


What is the difference between school counseling and school psychology?

December 23, 2009

The graduate school offers programs in both of these areas, and they are commonly confused but very different when you examine how you will interact with children in schools.

The American School Counselor Association (ASCA) provides information about a career in school counseling, such as the role of the school counselor at various K-12 levels (elementary, middle school, and high school) and the responsibilities of the contemporary school counselor, on ASCA website:

The National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) has provided helpful information about the profession of school psychology, what the job is like, and how the profession compares to other related professions, such as school counseling, on their website:

We urge you to do some research on the two professions if you are unsure which program is right for you. We invite you to attend an Informational Session at Lewis & Clark for each program prior to application. You can also contact a faculty member in the program to talk with them about what you are looking for. Lastly, we recommend that you interview a practicing school counselor and a practicing school psychologist to get a better sense of the real-world job experience for both fields.


Share this story on