Museum AmeriCorps Volunteer Specialist
July 07, 2015
1. Assist the Community Engagement Manager in developing training materials and identifying leaders among current volunteers who mentor new volunteers at the Museum.
2. Make each volunteer’s experience meaningful by developing programs so that each volunteer understands how they contribute to the organization’s overall success.
3. Support volunteers at offsite Museum family events with Title 1 schools and community programs (like IRCO) to facilitate art exploration.
4. Conceptualize pop-up play/exhibit activities in the arts and sciences for use by volunteers in the Museum, including outdoor spaces.
5. Complete and submit in a timely manner all OSSC/AmeriCorps required reports and time sheets.
6. Attend OSSC/AmeriCorps sponsored orientation, trainings, meetings and disaster response.
1. Ability to lift 40 pounds.
2. Willingness to comply with Portland Children’s Museum policies.
1. A self-motivated, creative, resourceful and positive individual who enjoys working with diverse groups of people and being a source of motivation and support for others.
2. Experience and/or desire to work with youth ages 0-12 from families experiencing economic barriers.
3. Interest in training and mentoring volunteers.
4. Willingness to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings, weekends.
5. A personal vehicle to travel to project sites across the Portland metro area will be very helpful, but is not required. Mileage reimbursement is provided for necessary travel to meetings and events.
6. A Bachelor’s degree or several years direct experience related to the position is preferred.
Part-time (900-hour) members receive a $2,865 education award upon completion, a living allowance of $6,265 for 9, 10, or 11 months (before taxes) and loan forbearance if you qualify.
To apply, please email a resume and a cover letter to the contact person below.
CONTACT: Whitney Lynch, Community Engagement Manager, 503-471-9914 or firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is available to all without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, political affiliation or in most instances, religion. Qualified individuals with disabilities and those from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals.