Job Opportunity: CTE Instructor
April 02, 2015
WASKOWITZ ENVIRONMENTAL LEADERSHIP SCHOOL (WELS) PROGRAM AND TEACHER ATTRIBUTES
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. This list is meant to be representative, not exhaustive. Some incumbents may not perform all the duties listed while in other cases related duties may also be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Facilitate use of student portfolio and project- based work with integration of natural resource/green sustainability leadership activities into program model and curriculum.
- Deliver interdisciplinary experienced based curriculum preparing student for leadership at Waskowitz Outdoor School and life beyond.
- Work with each student to develop individual learning goals. Differentiate instruction according to student goals and needs.
- Work with students of varying ability in one setting.
- Work effectively with a wide variety of high school students in a culturally diverse setting.
- Refine existing Waskowitz Environmental Leadership curriculum as may be necessary to meet the STEM curriculum requirements and district needs and ensure alignment for grades 10-12.
- Collaborate with staff to meet goals identified in Waskowitz Outdoor School’s strategic plan and ensure that all students are preparing for college, career, and citizenship.
- Participate in leadership training weekends and perform other duties as assigned by the Director/Principal.
- Maintain accurate student records and CTE budget requirement.
- Meet yearly with Advisory
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit and supporting student learning objectives.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Must have or be able to qualify for, Washington State Career and Technical Education Teaching Certificate (CTE) with endorsement(s) in Natural Resources and/or Careers in Education, Hospitality, and Tourism. Alternative Certification through industry experience and attendance in CTE program after hired.
Three years teaching experience in classroom or informal educational program
Wilderness First Aid certification or equivalent
Experience in natural resources and environmental sustainability and high school leadership programs.
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT:
Washington State Driver’s License
Obtain Type II driver’s license within 60 days of hire
Criminal background clearance
Maintain Wilderness First Aid certification
Washington State Essential Learning Standards based instruction
Project based learning within the context of environmental education
Performance or competency-based assessment
Environmental Leadership theme-based curriculum
Adventure Education Curriculum
Technical skills in natural resources and sustainability
School board policies and procedures
Communicate effectively and clearly both verbally and in writing at all levels
Operate a microcomputer and related software
Maintain effective working relationships with individuals and groups in a multicultural and diverse community
Develop quality work-based learning opportunities for students
Remain flexible to changes in assignments or situations
Work cooperatively with staff, students and parents in a school environment
Drive a district owned vehicle to transport students
Be a team player creating a new high school model for teaching and learning
To use experiential education model to enhance instruction
Teach in a small learning community both indoors and outdoors
Supervise students in outdoor overnight experiences
Comply with school board policies and follow administrative procedures
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk on uneven ground. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 40 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to carry a 50 pound backpack while cross country skiing 5+ miles and work in all types of outside weather conditions.