School navigation


Can I switch into the MAT with ESOL Endorsement program after I have started the regular MAT program?

January 29, 2014

No. If you are not admitted to the MAT with ESOL Endorsement program before starting coursework, you cannot switch in.

However, you will still be able to add an ESOL Endorsement separately if you wish (see ESOL Endorsement Track II program of study in the course catalog). After completing the MAT program, only two classes and a practicum (8 additional semester hours) are required to  complete the standalone ESOL Endorsement. If you pursue your ESOL Endorsement as a standalone program, you cannot use your student teaching site as your ESOL practicum site.

Students can apply to the ESOL Endorsement Track II program after successfully completing their M.A.T. student teaching experience. Students must complete a Preservice Request to Add ESOL Track II form through the graduate Admissions office The completed form is returned to the Admissions office, which then submits the request form and any required documentation to Teacher Education faculty for review and an admissions decision. The Admissions office will notify the student of the faculty decision.

Share this story on