A course syllabus must include the following components:
- Course Syllabus Cover Sheet (Please see your program director for your program’s current version.)
- General Information
- Course title
- Course term and year
- Catalog course description—description of instructional approach/pedagogy
- Course days, meeting times, and location to equal 15 contact hours per credit hour
- Attendance policy
- Textbooks, materials, and equipment required
- Faculty name, phone number, email address, and office location
- Office hours
- Disability Services Statement (please copy and paste this exact language into your syllabus): If you have a disability that may impact your academic performance, you may request accommodations by submitting documentation to the Student Support Services Office in the Albany Quadrangle (503-768-7192). After you have submitted documentation and filled out paperwork there for the current semester requesting accommodations, staff in that office will notify me of the accommodations for which you are eligible.
- As appropriate, additional narrative about the conceptual/theoretical elements of the course
- Course goals and objectives—describe what the student is expected to demonstrate as a result of taking this course
- Required and recommended reading
- Course calendar—include due dates, course topics, special guest speakers, special equipment needs, holidays, etc.
- Major assignments and activities—include clear examples of what work will be graded (papers, portfolios, presentations, exams, etc.) and how grades will be determined. The requirements can include the expected format for work, due dates, criteria for evaluation, exams, etc.
- Evaluation and assessment—explain your method of determining final grades
Last reviewed by the curriculum committee March 20, 2018.