Petition for Modification or Waiver of Academic Requirements
The purpose behind all academic requirements is to preserve the integrity of the Lewis & Clark College degree. Requirements may be waived or modified only upon approval of the student’s adviser, department chair, and dean. Exceptions to requirements are granted only after careful consideration of all the facts and are made with consistency and fairness.
If you wish an exception to a particular requirement, please fill out the Petition for Modification or Waiver of Academic Requirements form and submit it to your faculty adviser. On this form, identify the requirement or requirements you are seeking to modify or waive and provide a rationale for your request. You should include all pertinent information in your rationale. Your faculty adviser will then follow the steps in the procedure for submitting student petitions for modification or waiver of academic requirements. You will be notified by your adviser, department chair, or registrar regarding the decision of your petition.
Procedure for Submission of Student Petitions for Modification or Waiver of Academic Requirements
1. The student meets with his or her adviser to discuss the reasons for seeking a modification or waiver of academic requirements. The adviser provides the student with the petition form and informs the student of what supporting documentation is needed.
2. The student returns the petition to his or her adviser.
3. The adviser reviews the petition. (a) If the adviser believes that the petition application is not complete, accurate, or clear, the adviser arranges to meet with the student. (b) If the adviser approves the petition, he or she signs it and provides written comments for the department chair. (c) If the adviser does not approve the petition, he or she notifies the student that the petition is denied.
4. A petition signed by the adviser is forwarded to the appropriate department chair. If the department chair is also the student’s adviser, the petition is forwarded to the registrar.
5. The department chair reviews the petition. (a) If the department chair approves the petition, he or she signs it and forwards it to the registrar. (b) If the department chair does not approve the petition, he or she notifies the student and adviser that the petition is denied.
6. A petition signed by the department chair is forwarded to the registrar. If there are problems with the petition, the registrar returns it to the department chair with an explanation. The department chair meets with the student to make appropriate changes in the petition. The department chair returns the revised petition to the registrar.
7. The registrar provides written comments and forwards the petition to the dean.
8. The dean reviews the petition. The dean approves or denies the petition; he or she signs it and returns it to the registrar. The registrar notifies the student and program secretary regarding the dean’s decision to approve or deny the petition.
If you have any questions please call us at 503-768-6030 or email at email@example.com.
The Office of Graduate Registrar and College Veterans Services is located in room 301 of Rogers Hall on the Graduate Campus.
Graduate Registrar and VA School Certifying OfficialCurt Luttrell
Office of Graduate Registrar and College Veterans Services
Lewis & Clark
0615 S.W. Palatine Hill Road, MSC 90
Portland, OR 97219