Heather worked as a middle school counselor for 6 years and she implemented the American School Counseling National Model. While working as a professional school counselor she felt a calling to be more directly involved in the preparatory programs for school counselors. This calling and her passion for school counseling led to her pursuit of a PhD in counselor education and supervision from Oregon State University. She is a member of the Oregon School Counseling Association.
I believe I will never be a finished product. I challenge myself to continuously explore my sense of self, my experiences of privilege, and my lived experiences. I believe in taking time to listen to student stories and through this act of listening creating a culture of respect. I strive to create a learning environment that invites all students to explore their personal beliefs and how these beliefs impact their work as school counselors. My hope is that students will complete their program with confidence and knowledge of how they can move their ideas into social action.
Areas of Expertise
Motivational Interviewing, Group Counseling, College and Career Readiness for K-12 Students
Heather’s current research is on the use of motivational interviewing within school counseling programs with academically unmotivated students.
- Hadraba, H. & Torres, D. (2015, March). Using Data to Create Change. Evidence Based School Counseling Conference, Erlanger, Kentucky
- Pedersen, L. & Hadraba, H. (2013, April). Advocacy: Essential Steps in Promoting Pk12 College and Career Readiness Programs. National Office for School Counselor Advocacy Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Eakin, G., Aasheim, L., DeKruyf, L., Pedersen, L. & Hadraba, H. (2012, December). Invited webinar. Advocacy in Oregon. American School Counseling Association.
- Aasheim, L., Dilts, R., vanAsselt, K., Anctil, T., Biles, K., DeKruyf, L., Eakin, G., Pedersen, L., Torres, D. & Hadraba, H. (2012, November). A Statewide University Collaboration Model: School Counselor Educators Partner for Comprehensive Success. Presentation at the Western Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Conference, Portland, Oregon.
- Hadraba, H. & Eakin, G. (2012, June). Enhancing Intrinsic Motivation to Change and Achieve. Presentation at the American School Counseling Association Conference, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Hadraba, H., & Ill, D. (2006, April). Transitioning the Middle School Student to High School. Presentation at collaborative inquiry, West Linn-Wilsonville School District, West Linn, Oregon.
- Hadraba, H. (2006, April). Building a Character Education Plan. Presentation at collaborative inquiry, West Linn-Wilsonville School District, West Linn, Oregon.
- Eakin, G., & Hadraba, H. (2005, July). Academic Achievement of Middle School Students. Presentation at Oregon School Counseling Association Conference, Warm Springs, Oregon.
- Pehrrson, D., Nakazawa-Hewitt, M., James, G., Mohr, E., Miller, A., Turner, S., Hadraba, H. & Justice, J. (2003, October). Applying Play Therapy to our Adult Lives. Presentation at Oregon School Counseling Association Conference, Eugene, Oregon.
Ph.D., M.S., B.S. Oregon State University