Clinical Supervision: Fostering Supervisee Development Through a Social Justice Informed Practice
Date: 9:00am - 12:00pm PDT August 25 Location: Lewis & Clark Graduate School, Rogers Hall, Room 219
Lewis & Clark Graduate School, Rogers Hall, Room 219
This workshop will provide registered supervisors with the information, skills and social justice framework to strengthen and deepen their competence in counseling supervision. This training meets the 3-hour requirement for licensed and registered supervisors from the Oregon Board of Licensed Professional Counselors and Therapists (OBLPCT).
Participants in this workshop will discuss:
- The three most prevalent roles clinical supervisors embody and strategies to work within each
- Counseling developmental models to guide supervision practices
- The use of supervisory contracts, and formative/summative evaluation in supervision
- Ways to promote diversity, cross-cultural and multicultural competence in supervisees
- Ethical and legal perspectives and risk management
- Guiding supervisees around areas of transference and counter-transference with specific attention to the socio-political climate and other related challenges
Attendees will have the opportunity to discuss actual supervisory highlights and challenges, and share common scenarios in a supportive atmosphere. Incorporating a genuine approach to supervision will be encouraged, and additional strategies to help supervisees navigate cross cultural barriers will be explored.
Course Details & Registration
Dates: Friday, August 25, 2017, 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
Instructor: Jeffrey Christensen, PhD, LMHC
Noncredit: $60, includes 3 CEUs or PDUs. Lewis & Clark Alumni receive 20% off.
About the Presenter
Jeffrey Christensen, PhD, LMHC is an Assistant Professor in the Professional Mental Health Counseling Program at Lewis and Clark College, where he has supervised students in their practicum and internship settings. He has 10 years of experience working within community mental health settings and was the Clinical Supervisor at the New Leaf Clinic, located in Williamsburg, Virginia.