Be Aware: Mexican American Studies is Now Illegal
Date: 5:30pm - 7:30pm PDT March 2, 2012 PST Location: Smith Hall - Lewis & Clark College
Smith Hall - Lewis & Clark College
Books have been banned, school curriculum has been declared illegal, and students and faculty of color are being oppressed due to their heritage, their pride, and their activism. This is happening now.
Come hear about the events in Arizona and watch a powerful documentary about the now-illegal Mexican-American Studies program in Tucson public schools. Learn about what’s happening and what you can do to stop it.
5:30-6 Bilingual welcome and a brief history of Arizona and Tucscon Unified School District events leading up to the February 1 shut-down of Mexican American Studies and seizure of curricula
6-7:10 Showing of the documentary Precious Knowledge
7:10-7:30 Discussion of what we can do and further resources
This event is FREE and open to the public. If you are planning to join us, please RSVP below.
- NYTimes article, “Rift in Arizona as Latino Class Is Found Illegal”: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/08/us/08ethnic.html?pagewanted=all
- CNN article, “How Tucson schools changed after Mexican-American Studies ban”: http://schoolsofthought.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/23/how-tucson-schools-changed-after-mexican-american-studies-ban/
- PBS & OPB to broadcast “Precious Knowledge” starting May 17th, 2012: http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/precious-knowledge/
- Article on the banned and confiscated books: http://tucsoncitizen.com/three-sonorans/2012/01/19/arizonas-banned-mexican-american-books/
- No History Is Illegal campaign: http://www.teacheractivistgroups.org/tucson/
- Excerpts from the illegal curriculum: http://www.teacheractivistgroups.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/NoHistoryIsIllegal.pdf
- Article from Hyphen magazine, “Audit Finds That Tucson’s Ethnic Studies Program Is Legal”: http://www.hyphenmagazine.com/blog/archive/2011/06/audit-finds-tucsons-ethnic-studies-program-legal
- Ethnic studies myths: http://www.tucsonweekly.com/tucson/ethnic-studies-myths/Content?oid=3180662
- Save Ethnic Studies organization: http://saveethnicstudies.org/
- Huffington Post article, “Why Arizona’s Ethnic Studies Crisis Should Matter To All Educators: Interview With Dr. Rudy Acuna”: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeff-biggers/arizona-ethnic-studies_b_922349.html
- American Educational Research Association Responds to Suspension of Mexican American Studies in Tucson: http://www.aera.net/newsmedia/Default.aspx?menu_id=60&id=13760
- AERA Resolution Regarding the Teaching of Mexican American Studies: http://www.aera.net/newsmedia/Default.aspx?menu_id=60&id=13762
- AERA Resolution Regarding the Repeal of Arizona HB 2281: http://www.aera.net/newsmedia/Default.aspx?menu_id=60&id=13764